Fabrice Chappet’s main yard is among the historical stables of Chantilly. It was built in 1899 by prominent racehorse owner Arthur Weisweiller, whose maroon and black colours are reflected in the architecture. It comprises 60 spacious boxes and offers direct access to the Chantilly forest. From there, the horses benefit from an ideal warm-up in the shape of a nice walk under the oak tree canopy. Depending on their assignment of the day, they will head to Les Lions, where the routine workout takes place, to Les Aigles, the majestic grass canter used for more serious work, or even to the racecourse, whose all-weather and grass tracks are open for pieces of work several days a week. All three venues are virtually equidistant from the yard and allow the horses to be out for over an hour without crossing any road.
The training centre
Located 35km North of Paris, Chantilly has long been known as “the capital of the horse”. The first races were held in front of the castle in 1833 and the whole town quickly became the headquarters of French racing. Nowadays, close to 2,500 racehorses call it home. The training centre expands over 1,900 hectares (almost 5,000 acres), making it the largest in the world. It comprises 140km of natural sand canters, 120ha (300 acres) of turf as well as four all-weather gallops for the winter months.